Electrical safety is just as important in the home as it is outdoors. No matter the season, we expect the insides of our homes to be comfortable and secure. Maintaining that comfort and security, though, means knowing how to use electrical appliances responsibly.
- Never plug or unplug an appliance if your hands are wet or if you are holding or touching a metal object.
- Never plug in an electrical cord that has become stripped or worn out. Exposed wires are a major electrical safety hazard that can quickly start fires and deliver unexpected shocks.
- Don’t run electrical cords under carpets or through doors and windows. Door hinges can damage cords and expose the wires, and carpets can trap the heat from energized cords, which creates a fire hazard. It’s safer to find an outlet with a clear path to the device you want to plug in.
- If you plug a device into an extension cord, only do so temporarily. Extension cords aren’t designed for long-term use. They also clutter the floor and are easy to trip over.
- Never plug extension cords into each other. This actually increases the strain on the power outlet, which may cause it to overheat and catch fire.
- Unplug appliances that aren’t in use. Not only is a good electrical safety tip, it’s also cost-effective because it wastes less electricity.
- If you have to change a light bulb, check the warning labels on light fixture to make sure the new bulb is within the manufacturer’s recommended wattage level.
- Appliances with heating elements (toasters, space heaters, hair dryers, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, never into a power strip. These types of devices require more power and can easily overload a secondary power source.